A major goal for 2014 has been an upgrade to our Reports view.
We originally released reports a few years ago and they’ve been looking dusty for a while now. At the time we were content to use a Google Charts library with some basic functionality.
Since then our wonderful customers have helped us compile a giant list of improvements to make and we’ve found a great new chart library. The first wave of these upgrades is now ready!
Better Chart Rendering
The new chart library means improved chart rendering that animate into place and have clearer graphics and numbers:
You can hover over the plot points for more information and click on any group in the legend to show or hide that group from the chart.
Larger charts will also auto-resize to better accomodate the available data.
We’ve added multiple features for controlling the size and layout of the charts:
- Dimensions: let the chart auto-size or enter your own width and height.
- Legend Placement: place the legend at the right or bottom.
- Orientation: flip the axes of bar charts.
- Data Points: show or hide
- Tilt Data Labels: to save more space
New Data Features
Our biggest new features are around the data the reports use:
- Filters: you can now use filters to limit the records the chart uses, including filter menus and user-defined filters.
- Exclude Empty Groups: if any of the report data is empty or zero you can choose to exclude it from the report.
- Allow Print and Export: include links to print the report or export it as a PDF.
The best new feature is the ability to click on any of the report groups to view the records that comprise that group in a modal page:
This page will limit any records to the report group, but you can add and customize your own views like any other Knack page!
- Better sorting and limits.
- Better mobile resizing.
- A new chart type!
- More customization and advanced report chart features.