We just gave our text combo field so many new super-powers we had to rename it.
Introducing the new Text Formula: it’s a magical combination of our old Text Combo field and the recent equation updates.
You can combine any text values like before but now you can also include a great library of text-based functions.
These new functions will let you manipulate text and extract values from your fields.
Text functionsThese functions will work on manually entered text or values from other fields:
- left: extracts the first characters in a text string, based on the number of characters specified
- right: extracts the last characters in a text string, based on the number of characters specified
- mid: extracts a sub-string of a string, starting at a start position and ending at an end position
- length: gets the number of characters in a text string
- regexReplace: replace a regular expression value found in a string with another value
- extractRegex: extract the first matching regular expression from a string.
- replace: replace a value found in a string with another value
- lower: convert a text string to lower case
- upper: convert a text string to upper case
- capitalize: capitalize the first letter of a string
- random: outputs a random string containing upper-case letters, lower-case letters, and numbers
Field functionsThese functions can extract specific values from complex fields like names or addresses, like getting just the last name from a name field:
Date functionsThese functions can extract text components from a date value, like the name of the day or month:
As a bonus we included date functions into the Equation field as well:
Click here for full documentation on the new Text Formula field.