Hi, thanks for reading about our DevOps Engineer opportunity! We're glad you're here.
We're Knack, a no-code productivity platform that’s redefining how work gets done. Knack is used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest organizations — to run processes, departments, and even entire companies.
We need a brilliant DevOps engineer to help us meet the enormous challenges around managing the performance and reliability of thousands of data-driven applications.
This role can encompass multiple titles like DevOps, SRE, and Systems Engineering. We’re less interested in conforming to a specific title, and more interested in a passion for using systems and infrastructure to solve big problems.
And did I mention self-motivated and independent? This is a 100% remote role, with a flat culture that gives you the autonomy to define how you can do the best work of your career.
In this role, you will:
- Manage and improve our AWS infrastructure. This includes execution, but also taking the initiative to suggest improvements, design and lead execution efforts.
- Leverage terraform to automate the deployment and management of infrastructure resources.
- Develop processes to scale and automate our infrastructure using container-based systems.
- Work with the development team to implement new technologies within the AWS ecosystem.
- Build monitoring, tools, and processes to help us detect and respond to operational issues more quickly.
- Reduce barriers for engineers to deploy and optimize systems.
- Help optimize for security, speed, and redundancy across all points of the AWS stack.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- An expert with AWS. You’re familiar with the vast majority of AWS tools and how to get the most from them.
- Experienced with leveraging terraform to automate infrastructure. You’ve used terraform at scale and have valuable lessons to impart from that experience.
- Experienced with implementing and maintaining container-based systems via Docker and potentially Kubernetes.
- Experienced as a meaningful contributor to a data-driven infrastructure at scale.
- Humble but opinionated. You have lots of ideas, yet you are happy to shift directions when a better path emerges. You take your work much more seriously than you take yourself.
- An active collaborator. You want feedback on your work early and often, and you get a kick out of a collaborative process because it challenges you to do better work.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Knack is a complex product in a complex space and the work is extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. Knack makes a major impact in the work of thousands of companies and organizations.
- AWS - we’ve drunk the kool-aid and use AWS across the board.
- Graylog, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Prometheus, Grafana - monitoring, and logging
- Node.js - APIs, backend development
- Docker, ECS, Terraform - continued container expansion
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Solr, Redis - data persistence
- Github, Jenkins, Cypress, Ghost Inspector, Mocha - deployment and testing
Knack launched in 2012 with one simple goal: to enable everyone to do amazing things with their data.
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We've been growing steadily since as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
You can read more about Knack and the team here.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of high-quality human beings that above all enjoy working together.
These benefits aren't that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- Equal opportunity: we push everyone to maximize their impact on our product and company—we strongly value all of our people, regardless of title or seniority.
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what's important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, books, and workshops.
- Attend industry conferences that are meaningful to you.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We review applications in batches, so don't worry if you don't hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We're also big believers in paid trials when logistically possible.
Please note that we can currently only accept applications from those qualified to work in the US.