Senior Full Stack Engineer
Hi, thanks for reading about our Senior Full Stack Software Engineer opportunity!
We're glad you're here.
We're Knack, a no-code productivity platform that’s redefining how work gets done. Knack is used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest organizations — to run processes, departments, and even entire companies.
This is a 100% remote role within a flat culture that gives you the autonomy to define how you can do the best work of your career.
We've been fully remote for over 6 years now, so we’ve learned how to make a remote culture work for both our company and our our team of amazing Knacksters.
In this role, you will:
- Leverage Node / Vue.js to craft clean, maintainable, extensible, secure code
- Drive innovative problem solving on challenging engineering problems, including:
- Distributed Caching
- Object version control / history
- Real-time concurrency
- Performance optimizations
- Refactor and modernize areas of the codebase, with an eye towards increasing maintainability, performance, and rapid iteration
- Collaborate with a broad set of stakeholders to enable well-informed business decision-making by:
- Bringing appropriate information to discussions
- Clarifying scope and accurately presenting tradeoffs
- Clearly communicating potential scope changes and alternatives along with associated pros / cons
- Be an inspiring and supportive teammate by participating in PR reviews, pair programming, active feedback, idea generation, teaching, learning, and generally being a delightful human being.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- A problem solver. You aren't afraid to go deep, experiment, learn on the fly, and do the work.
- Passionate about turning complex business requirements into elegant software that delights users.
- Flexible. When given a UX spec and requirements, you are able to achieve the resulting behavior, look and feel, as well as the associated APIs to drive the backend data.
- Experienced as a meaningful contributor to a data-driven architecture at scale.
- Humble but opinionated. You have lots of ideas, yet you are happy to shift directions when a better path emerges. You take your work much more seriously than you take yourself.
- An active collaborator. You want feedback on your work early and often, and you get a kick out of a collaborative process because it challenges you to do better work.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Knack is a complex product in a complex space and the work is extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. Knack makes a major impact in the work of thousands of companies and organizations.
- Front-end: ES6, Vue, Vuex, Vue Router, BackboneJS, Webpack, SCSS
- Back-end: Node.js, Express.js
- Testing: Mocha Unit Tests, Cypress.js, Ghost Inspector
- AWS - we’ve drunk the kool-aid and use AWS across the board
- Graylog, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Prometheus, Grafana - monitoring, and logging
- Docker, ECS, Terraform - continued container expansion
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Solr, Redis - data persistence
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We've been growing steadily since 2012 as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
- We work out loud: we’re a flat and autonomous culture that demands superb communication, transparency, and consensus.
You can read more about Knack and the team here.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of delightful human beings that above all enjoy working with each other, growing with each other, and supporting each other.
These benefits aren't that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- 401(k): we give you the option to automatically deduct funds from your pay to stash them away for your golden years! (Currently non-matching, but stay tuned!)
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what's important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, books, and workshops.
- Attend industry conferences that are meaningful to you.
Note for international applicants: We are only able to offer a majority of these benefits to US hires at this time.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We review applications in batches, so don't worry if you don't hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We're also big believers in paid trials whenever logistically possible.
Loading application form...