Hi, thanks for reading about our Support Engineer opportunity! We're glad you're here.
We're Knack, a code-free platform used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies — to build better businesses with data.
Knack is a complex and highly technical product. We're looking for a brilliant and empathetic support engineer who wants to combine technical troubleshooting experience with relationship skills to help resolve the technical challenges of our customers.
You'll support our Customer Success team, and thereby customers, by helping to resolve issues that require deep dives into our API and technical implementations. You’ll also help them by creating tools that better help them support customers and provide training for our Technical Support team. You'll support the engineering team by helping to spec out technical issues, as well as prioritize bugs and feedback from Knack customers.
Oh, and this is a 100% remote role, so self-motivation and independence is a must. You'll be given the autonomy to define how to do your best work.
In this role, you will:
- Be the last point of escalation for the Customer Success team on technical issues.
- Help manage the issue backlog, assisting developers with priority and reproduction, and assisting the success team with explanations, verification, and workarounds.
- Assist with creating tools used by our internal teams to support customers.
- Contribute to internal documentation on technical troubleshooting and issue resolution.
- Provide training to the Technical Support team as needed.
- Be an inspiring and supportive teammate by actively participating in active feedback, idea generation, teaching, learning, and in general being a delightful human being.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- A problem solver. You love to troubleshoot and debug issues, and can leverage browser dev tools to do so. The harder the challenge, the deeper you want to go. You aren't afraid to do the work.
- Detail oriented. You understand that noticing the smallest detail can mean the difference in reproducing a tricky issue.
- Humble but opinionated. You have lots of ideas, yet you are happy to shift directions when a better path emerges. You take your work much more seriously than you take yourself.
- Level-headed. You're at your best when things get hard, like if issues pile up or multiple priorities compete for your attention.
- Comfortable being uncomfortable. You’re not afraid to have the hard conversations, participate in an environment of giving and receiving constructive feedback, and advocate to do your best work.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Knack is a complex product in a complex space and the work is extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. Knack makes a major impact in the work of thousands of companies and organizations.
- Front-end: Vue.js, Webpack, Backbone, SCSS
- Back-end: Node.js, MongoDB, SQL, Solr, Redis, AWS
- Testing: Cypress, Ghost Inspector, Mocha
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We've been growing steadily since 2012 as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
- We work out loud: we’re a flat and autonomous culture that demands superb communication, transparency, and consensus.
You can read more about Knack and the team here.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of delightful human beings that above all enjoy working with each other, growing with each other, and supporting each other.
These benefits aren't that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what's important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, books, and workshops.
- Attend industry conferences that are meaningful to you.
Note for international applicants: We are only able to offer a majority of these benefits to US hires at this time.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We review applications in batches, so don't worry if you don't hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We're also big believers in paid trials whenever logistically possible.